Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Artists Against Walls Reading Response

    The Peace and Freedom Youth Forum video proved how graffiti can be something more than just vandalism, but a means of self and political expression. I think this is a pretty cool group, the idea that a group takes almost any message from an outsider and is willing to paint it, allows for a global dialogue that can't do any harm. Yes, there's the argument that it is being ran by  Dutch company and Palestinian painters are the ones who are risking themselves, but it allows for further disbursement of their conflict and want they want. Having global input could help both sides understand their own positions through seeing outsiders' opinion of them. My only disagreement with this project is allowing non-political messages to be posted, such as asking for someone's hand in marriage. To me it seems to put the wall in a less serious light, but I guess that could be a good thing.
    As for the Banksy videos, I feel his intent is good but the manner in which he does it isn't. For some reason, I get the feeling that he takes part in this for media attention. If he went there more often and did a lot of work there then I would feel like it is more personal and good-natured. I feel like to have true respect for his works in the West Bank I would need to hear further response from him on his reasoning for his pieces there and what he was trying to express.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the non political messages being posted onto the wall. I feel like some of the messages the group was putting up were very detached from the reality of the wall.

    ReplyDelete