Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Weblog #6: Music

    Music plays a very important role in my life; I come from a family where my sisters and mother can both sing and play the piano, and my dad has played the guitar since he was a teenager. I, on the other hand, haven't been quite as musically gifted. Sure, I have dabbled with the guitar, but I was never great at it (or perhaps I lacked the discipline as a child). The one facet of music I have ever succeeded with is in singing, I was in choir from about age 12 to 16, and still enjoy singing on occasion (by myself that is).
   Music ability aside, music plays a large role in my life and I listen to music multiple times a day. For the most part, I like all genres of music except for modern country. I love old school rap where the lyrics are more poetic, and the beats more funky. I also love classic rock, 90s rock of all sorts, and modern house music. Oddly, I have always had an affinity for classical music and traditional music from India and Japan. Music helps define who I am. It expresses my interests, my desires, and some fantasies. It helps me find my style and keeps me motivated. It also helps me I need that extra kick that coffee can't seem to produce. Overall, music is an excellent medium of self expression.
    In means of communication, music can cross over many different cultures. People often times listen to music in a foreign language not knowing what is being said, but yet, find them just as entertaining as music in their native tongue. In other words, it's a way of bridging between cultures and bringing people together, which is a good thing.
     Music can be a way of bringing people together in a way that not many things can. On the other hand, it can also divide if it is too polluted with political messages. Artists often times use music as a medium for political expression in times of conflict. It's an excellent way to get the everyday person's word out and be heard. Adversaries can become allies through mutual recognition of common beliefs. In short, it's an excellent way to express what many want to hear.

Here's the last song that played on my iPod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAnlke_xUY

No comments:

Post a Comment